Clean Energy Impact
Assessing relevance of business idea and potential benefit of the project to the environment:
- If the business is successful, will it have a significant environmental impact?
- To what degree will the business idea affect the clean energy industry?
Assessing the degree of innovation and novelty of the idea:
- Has there been a similar idea beforehand?
- Does the project offer new and creative solutions to solve existing problems in the field?
- To what extent does it improve existing products or business models currently in the market?
- To what degree does the business idea change the industry?
Execution & Financial Strategy
Assessing the plan for the execution of the business idea and for financial funding:
- Is the business model sound and realistic? Does the team have a coherent and well-structured execution plan?
- Are financial and business growth forecasts realistic?
- Does the business plan offer realistic assumptions on scaling production of the product?
- Does the team have clear and viable ideas about how to finance the company?
- Does the team already have a patent? / Is it viable that the team will acquire IP in the future?
Market & Customer Knowledge
Assessing the reflection of market and customer knowledge in the business plan:
- Does the team demonstrate thorough knowledge of the market they are entering (e.g. market size, competitive landscape, substitutes, stakeholders, regulatory and policy framework)?
- Was primary customer research carried out to support market assessment?
- Does the team demonstrate evidence of demand for product?
- Does the team understand the customers and their needs?
- Are there realistic plans to deal with possible competitors?
- Does the team have a long-term strategy?
Team Composition, Chemistry, and Commitment
Assessing strengths & weaknesses of the team:
- Does the team have a well-balanced mix of expertise and backgrounds (e.g. technological, entrepreneurial, business, policy)?
- Are the team members working well together? Are responsibilities spread equally among the various team members?
- Does the team appear to be committed to stay together for the short to medium term?
- Does the team have a clear strategy to cope with future growth, including adding new members to the management team, as necessary?